26 March 2013

Hygiene


My household (meaning my boyfriend, the house, the dogs, and myself) are trying to go natural from cooking, containers, cleaning, and hygienes (my favorite so far). Please excuse the plastic Target spray bottle, I could not find a glass version and the one I found online were cheap BUT shipping to Hawaii was crazy for a tiny $2 bottle. 

  1. Spectrum organic coconut oil 
  2. Mixture of castile soap (unscented baby mild)
  3. Sugar scrub
  4. ACV hair rinse
I have been using the coconut oil for about a week now and yes, it is almost half way. I bought it for the purpose of using a long lasting face moisturizer at night but after coming home, I researched about it and read that it can be used as a mouthwash (I do oil pulling every night now), day and night moisturizer, great for dog's hair (I add a tablespoon daily for two of my hair pomeranians), and hair moisturizer (I need to give it a week before I can say I 'like' it).

I made my first batch of anything castile yesterday and it was my first time trying out my own recipe as well. The amount for each ingredients might differ for each individual that will suit your hair type. I have a cross between thin and thick hair, black but oddly growing reddish brown hair for the past year, and it is straight. If you want to give it a try, here is the recipe I used. Modify the amount depending how many fluid ounce your container has. My bottle was 16 fl. oz.
Ingredients: 
  1. 1-2 T. Fresh rosemary (It says fresh is for gray hair and dried is for black hair. I wanted it to be REALLY natural and organic so I went with the fresh one.)
  2. 1/2 T. grapeseed oil
  3. 1/2 T. vitamin E oil or 1 capsule (poke with a pin and squeeze out)
  4. 3/4 cup unscented castile soap baby mild
Direction:
  • Add rosemary sprig and water (I added 3 cups), bring to a boil. Bring heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes. 
  • Remove sprig and strain out the rest of the rosemary. Let it cool.  
  • Depending on your bottle capacity, pour rosemary water in your bottle. I put 1 cup rosemary water into my container. 
  • Pour castile in a bowl, add the rest of your ingredients, pour in bottle container. 
You are done! Easy enough right? You can also substitute the rosemary with simple water but I wanted to bring extra darkness to my hair and to promote hair growth. This is a 2 or 3 in one bottle for me. I used it as my shampoo, body wash, and face wash last night and I love it! So did my boyfriend so it is a winner at the moment. I will give it a one-week full trial before I can say anything else on it. 

Third item is my ACV hair since, I purchase the Bragger organic Apple Cider VInegar. I used the 1:1 ratio ACV and water. This is also a 2 in 1 bottle for me as a hair rinse and face toner but I will make a different batch for my face toner of 1:2 ACV to water because it is a little strong. 

The last recipe is our favorite body scrub. Although it can be used for the entire body, we like to concentrate on our soles every night. It is plain ol' white sugar with a few this and that. 
Recipes: (Feel free to modify depending on your container)
  1. 12 T. white sugar
  2. 1 T. cinnamon ground (optional)
  3. 1 T. grapeseed oil
  4. 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional or use other scent)
  5. 1/4 cup Lemongrass liquid soap (I am trying to finish my last bottle, I am sure you may use castile soap).
Direction:
  • Mix everything in a bowl until it gets a little runny but still thick enough to spread. 
  • Pour into glass jar and viola!

Bonus on my new hygiene items, I hand knitted a small hemp loofah our of my leftover beading rustic hemp twine (I will buy a hemp yarn once I use it all up) as a face scrubber. I also made another two for me and my boyfriend to use in the shower. Ditch those synthetic body loofah!

No comments:

Post a Comment