10 May 2011

Secret Chef: Peeling Pilipino tuday aya manang

Sorry for the title but yes, read it with the best filipino accent you can think of. I love these snacks and "pupus". In Hawaii, pupus means something to snack on like when you're BBQ, drinking, or just hanging out. One day, I felt the super strong urge and crave for "balut" which is a fertilize duck or chicken egg with an almost-develop embryo. The orange goodies are called "empanada" and this is what I like to call the filipino way. Although I wasn't too please with this one I bought down the road from my house, it still hit the spot in my tummy that day. The empanada consist of shredded papaya, egg, and filipino vinegar sausage called "longganisa".

Most people find the balut not very appealing or appetizing for that matter and believe me, I was one of those people. But the juice inside is very sweet and it was the only thing I could tolerate, then I sucked it up and moved on from the juice to the yellow soft yoke of the egg, and from there THE CHICKEN! No, you won't choke on the beak and no it is not crunchy. With a duck, I am not sure since I HATE to eat duck in any way or form. But I have heard that you can hear a little crunch. Tons of salt will help with the few slime in it which is there 30% of the time.

I'm attaching the REAL empanada made in the Philippines. I literally ate it every night when I visited about a year ago and I fell in love!

I call it "the generic empanada" and the juicy balut!

The REAL filipino empanada, the best being found in my hometown in the Philippines.

The tasty inside with some banana ketchup on top. It can also be eaten with vinegar or chilli vinegar.

Here's my little niece enjoying it with her starved aunty lol

BONUS: FISH BALLS!!! My cousin posing. I literally begged and got emotional over these babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment